Friday, June 13, 2014

Home Sweet Home... No Not Charlotte!

We made it home to Tennessee.  I don't think I've ever been so excited to see that Welcome to Tennessee sign as we crossed the boarder. We came in off of Hwy 81 so we avoided the mountains. I'm not sure I could've handled more mountain after driving through West Virginia.

We made it to aunt Marsha's house just as she was pulling in and we were parking. She gave us a ride up the hill and the kids were excited to see their cousins. The very first thing I did was head to the shower. That shower was amazing.  After two and a half days of driving with no showers (I probably shouldn't have admitted that... but let me just say I couldn't figure out the logistics of us showering in truck stops since there was NO WAY I was leaving my kids unattended) that shower was the best. After I bathed and got the kids cleaned it was nice to sit and chat with my aunt Marsha.

We left her house right before rush hour to head to my dad's house about 30 minutes away in Oak Ridge. After we maneuvered Honey to the back we were all glad to see each other.

The next few days were spent chatting, relaxing, going to the shooting range, visiting the science museum, playing games, eating, and just generally enjoyed my dad and his wife. Those days together made me really excited abut our decision to truly full time. Full timing means we can come visit for weeks at a time, anytime!

Averie enjoying a ride down granddad's street

Averie shooting with her granddad



Joshua shooting with his grandad

Nay wishing he could shoot... this was a smile I got in between pouts that he couldn't shoot too

Nay at the American Museum of Science and Energy

Replica of the Little Boy dropped on Japan

All three working together on an exhibit at the museum

We left my dad's house and heading back to Aunt Marsha's. Over the next several days the kids played, fought, laughed and loved with their cousins and they couldn't be happier. Knowing they were gonna visit their cousins is the only reason the kids left our friends farm in Mass.



We also got to spend time with my great Aunt Ann. She turned 96 in April so I am so grateful for every chance I get to visit. Even at 96 she wants to take care of me :-) She insisted on cooking me dinner and got up and did just that. That dinner was AMAZING. Her cooking is still dynamic.



Speaking of cooking I was able to stick to my vegetarianism and resist my aunt Marsha's fried chicken.  Talk about a difficult task!

The kids and I also starting hunting for RV's. We visited all of the RV dealers in the area. On the way back I realized we were passing the cemetery that my granny is buried at. It just so happened that not only were we passing her gravesite but also it was the 12th anniversary of her death. I went to the office and they helped me locate her and I was able to spend some time with my granny.

 



Overall we had a wonderful time and are all sad to be packing up to leave. Neither the kids nor I are ready to go.  It's gonna be a long drive back to Charlotte, that's for sure. We'll be back on the road in a few weeks though so we have that to look forward to. We'll spend this time taking care of business in and around Charlotte (camps, doctors appointments, selling stuff, and searching for a bigger RV).

Continue to keep up with us as this is not the end of our adventure. I will continue to blog throughout our journey. Until the next post... peace, love, and safe travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment