Friday, May 9, 2014

Day 1 Verona, VA

Day 1 has been amazing so far. I was up at 5:20a with the goal of being out of the door by 6a.  I wanted to avoid Charlotte's rush hour and be able to get downtown to say goodbye to my mom. Getting out of the house was hard... saying goodbye to my dog and my vegetable garden (lol) was tough. I kept adding more and more to the RV too, with the excuse that I know I will need "this" on the road. We did make it out of the door pretty much on time (6:04a). It was smooth sailing from the time we hit the road. We were able to find an apartment parking lot to park in while we went to give mama hugs and kisses

The drive to the Shenandoah area was great. I drove about 100 miles before stoping for gas and to stretch my legs. The second half (132 miles) was just as easy (thank you cruise control). The kids slept, I turned up my radio and stretch out my leg (I'm amazed at how roomy the driver side leg area is in my old RV) and rolled down the highway.

Driving 232 miles today felt good and I think I will leave it at that for now. When we got here I wasn't exhausted and I don't dread having to drive tomorrow.  There's no rush for us. Actually for the first time since I can remember I actually own my time.  I don't have anywhere to be at any particular time and this is the most freeing feeling. It doesn't matter what time we arrived, or how long it took us to get here or I could definitely get used to this.  

The campground we are staying at, Shenandoah Valley Campground in Verona VA, is nice.  It is full of amenities including a pool, hot tub, two playgrounds, free cable, free wifi, our site backs up to the river, we can walk around the corner to see a waterfall, and they have scheduled activities. It is a little of that beaten path (in my opinion) but it is pretty crowded here so maybe not to far off that path. The people that we have talked to so far come here regularly.  One lady said she even comes one a week and she lives a couple hours away. The staff is friendly and the facilities are clean so all in all we are very happy with the site we chose on the first day of our adventure. We would come back to this site for sure.









3 comments:

  1. I love your blog. I suggest adding a button that allows folks to subscribe by email. That was we can have every post and update directed to our inbox. Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to hear about your wonderful start. Looking forward to following your journey. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete